Collapse
X
Collapse
Primeira Anterior Próxima Última

• Filtrar
  • Tempo
  • Show
Clear All

Sociedade Agnotologia e a industria da ignorância, entrevista da discover magazine

Entrevista a Robert Proctor professor de historia da ciência na Stanford University.

Why Did Western Drs. Promote Tobacco While the Nazis Fought Cancer?

Just what is agnotology?
    It’s the study of the politics of ignorance. I’m looking at how ignorance is actively created through things like military secrecy in science or through deliberate policies like the tobacco industry’s effort to manufacture doubt through their “doubt is our product” strategy [spelled out in a 1969 tobacco company memo [pdf]]. So it’s not that science inherently always grows. It can actually be destroyed in certain ways, or ignorance can actually be created.

How common is the active creation of ignorance?
    It’s pretty common. I mean, in terms of sowing doubt, certainly global warming is a famous one. You know, the global warming denialists who for years have managed to say, “Well, the case is not proven. We need more research.” And what’s interesting is that a lot of the people working on that were also the people working for Big Tobacco.

Really?
    Yeah. The techniques of manufacturing doubt were created largely within the tobacco industry, and then they were franchised out to other industries. I have a chapter in my book Cancer Wars called “Doubt Is Our Product,” which is about the hundreds and hundreds of different industries that use these techniques of sowing doubt in order to minimize hazard, as do various trade associations. One of their goals is the idea of sowing doubt or questioning statistics. And they’re very powerful. You know the old saying: For every Ph.D. there’s an equal and opposite Ph.D.

You have a unique take on the relationship between ideology and science.
    Bad ideologies can produce good science, and good ideologies can produce bad science. In my book The Nazi War on Cancer, I showed that a horrific ideology can produce world-class science, and in my human origins work I showed that liberal antiracism can produce bad science.
    One of the things I teach in my class is that the history of science is the history of confusion, and there are many, many confusions. In a lot of my work I look at how even crazy prejudices can sometimes create good science. For instance, we all think the Nazis were crazy, but in fact, you know, they did some amazing science—not just in spite of their ideology, but actually because of their ideology. And that’s the same with all strong ideologies. The Piltdown hoax [the 1912 discovery of a supposed skull of early man, which 40 years later was determined to be a human cranium and ape jaw fraudulently joined together] was actually perceived [as a hoax] fairly early on by creationists because they refused to believe that this could have been a real skull.

What are other examples of good science coming from bad ideologies?
    We tend to forget that the first manned space flight was produced at the height of the Soviet empire. I think the example of Mayan archaeoastronomy is an interesting one. There you have very competent elites who are involved in sort of blending calendrical astronomy with human sacrifice. That gets pretty hairy.

How did you develop this line of interest?
    Well, I have a lot of curiosity about the world. I’m very interested in combining science with politics and ethics. And I like to do what I call activist history of science—a history of science that is relevant to present-day policy and present-day suffering and also to historical suffering. So I like to use history to inform the present, but I also like to use the present to inform history.

It seems you have endless curiosity.
    I’m amazed by people who don’t ask questions constantly. I was raised to think that the good life is asking questions and then always realizing that there are infinitely many more questions and that basically what we know is an infinitesimal part of what we might know. I’m interested in human suffering. I’m interested in the big, unanswered questions—in the massive infinity of ignorance that we swim in.

Have you continued your focus on tobacco?
    I recently collaborated on an exhibit of the most outrageous tobacco ads called “Not a Cough in a Carload.” It’s centered on medical-themed tobacco ads: that tobacco’s good for your T-zone, that it calms your nerves. Scientific tests prove that brand A is better than B, or, you know, 20,000 physicians recommend Camels, and so forth. The use of athletes and models, and the artwork is just beautiful.

How did this kind of marketing come about?
    It was pioneered by the tobacco industry. They set out to have a massive public relations campaign to defend tobacco at all costs against science. They wanted science that was good PR. I think it’s mainly a post–World War II phenomenon, although there are a couple of exceptions if you go back earlier for specific industries. In the 1920s, lead was almost banned from both paint and gasoline, and the lead industry set out to have a campaign that softened the critiques. And then in the 1930s, you get Big Tobacco manufacturing consumer drive and convincing people this is a cool, natural thing to do, so it’s part of the history of marketing. It’s the applying of marketing techniques to science, which is rather diabolical in a lot of ways.

You’ve been very involved in tobacco litigation. What is the history of that industry’s response to challenges?
    The tobacco industry started responding particularly in the 1950s with propaganda. That’s when they started their doubt campaign—the manufacturing of doubt, the manufacturing of ignorance. It was really rather new, certainly on the scale at which they pursued it. It was a new way of using science as an instrument of deception. And that’s become important recently. Franchised down into the global warming issue are the same techniques. Demanding ever-greater precision, invoking doubt, questioning the physical methods. Raising alternate possibilities. The whole realm of smoke screens and distractions.

How do you maintain the perspective essential to your kind of research?
    Well, I have three emotional principles in all my work. One is wonder, another is sympathy, and the third is critique. These are virtues of different disciplines that are generally not combined. Wonder we think of as a traditional scientific discipline or motive. It’s great to wonder at the grandeur and glory of the universe, the childlike wonder, the Stephen Jay Gould wonder, the Einsteinian wonder.
    But there’s also the traditional historical virtue of sympathy, which is to realize that the world we live in really is kind of a moment in time when we have the entire history of the universe behind us that we can explore as well. And when it comes to human interpretation, it’s important to see the past the way the people saw it. So I’ve written two books on Nazi medicine, and the goal there was not just to condemn them, but to see how in the world they came up with those ideas and those movements and how they justified them to themselves. So we see them as full humans and not just scarecrows, so we can actually understand the depth of the depravity or whatever. But at least we see it honestly, and that’s a traditional historical virtue.
    The third principle is critique, which is to realize that we’re humans first. If we’re cosmologists or historians, we’re at least humans first and then cosmologists and historians. We need to critique and show that there’s a lot of garbage out there, and we don’t want to be apologists for some horrific status quo where people are dying by the millions. And so we don’t just want to see things through other people’s eyes and we don’t want to just wonder at the glory of nature. We want to realize that there’s horrific suffering in the world and that we, as humans and as scholars, have a duty to do something about it.

Should other scientists be driven by the same motives?
    I think they’re good principles, certainly. We need to see the big picture. Scientists are often involved in work that’s just a small fraction of the picture. There are going to be specific motives for the research we do. Geology is centered on exploration for new fuels and things like that. But anytime we decide to fund one type of research rather than another, that’s a kind of political decision. It’s a social decision. It’s a collective decision about what we want to view as important.

You work in such widely different fields. Why didn’t you choose a specialty?
    Something is lost when people specialize. I like to see things like an amateur. The word amateur is literally “lover,” it’s from amore. Professionalism is often the death of intellectual inquiry. So I think there’s a kind of virtue of systematic amateurism that really needs to be rekindled. If you don’t love and hate and play and joke with your objects of study, then you’re really not treating them properly. I tell my students if you’re not angry and excited and enthralled by your topic, you should choose a different one.

How difficult is it to always be sorting out truth from lies—and to spend so much time thinking about ignorance?
    I’m not a skeptic; I’m a pragmatist. I think we have to live in the world and can’t be skeptical of everything. Trust is a fundamental part of being human. You have to evaluate the source, but you can’t be hypercritical or you’d drive yourself crazy. I believe in the common sense of most people. There’s a great deal of common sense in the world. There’s also a lot of common ignorance. It’s nearly boundless.
    Why Did Western Drs. Promote Tobacco While the Nazis Fought Cancer? | Health & Medicine | DISCOVER Magazine

Editado pela última vez por Nthor; 25 May 2009, 00:06.

How difficult is it to always be sorting out truth from lies—and to spend so much time thinking about ignorance?
    I’m not a skeptic; I’m a pragmatist. I think we have to live in the world and can’t be skeptical of everything. Trust is a fundamental part of being human. You have to evaluate the source, but you can’t be hypercritical or you’d drive yourself crazy. I believe in the common sense of most people. There’s a great deal of common sense in the world. There’s also a lot of common ignorance. It’s nearly boundless.
    Incontornável.

Comentário

I'm sorry, but i'm not with pacience to read all this article in english...

Comentário

Originalmente Colocado por bimmer318tds Ver Post
        I'm sorry, but i'm not with pacience to read all this article in english...
        That's ok.

But i'll promise that it be worth to, and that you will find many similartys with our country and with society in general.

Comentário

Tema popular este.

Comentário

Talvez se tentares a "versão portuguesa" funcione!

Comentário

Originalmente Colocado por PeLeve Ver Post
              Talvez se tentares a "versão portuguesa" funcione!
              Pois, mas não queria contribuir para o que se fala na entrevista.

Além de que o texto apesar de extenso, esta escrito numa linguagem acessível.

Preferi tb manter o texto na língua original, a recorrer a uma tradução mal feita das muitas que vi pela net.

Comentário

De qualquer maneira fica aqui um definição do tema:

Agnotologia – Cultura da Ignorância

Presumo que não é difícil de concluir que a ignorância não é, apenas, uma realidade fruto do desconhecimento, mas também é uma “produção cultural”.

Neste último caso, há uma intenção em fomentar e “divulgar” ignorância. Exemplos não faltam, caso da ignorância sobre as complicações do cancro, a não divulgação de achados sejam eles referentes ao controlo ambiental ou a “acontecimentos” políticos. O não desenvolvimento de certas tecnologias por desinteresse ou por implicar consequências de natureza económica de indústrias já estabelecidas a par de limitações da investigação (mesmo respeitando as regras mais exigentes da ética) ou tentativa de desacreditar descobertas científicas são algumas realidades que apontam para a emergência de uma nova disciplina denominada agnotologia.

De acordo com Schiebinger, “
                Ignorance is often not merely the absence of knowledge,” “but an outcome of cultural and political struggle.

Parece que não faltam “agnotologistas” por aí…

http://quartarepublica.blogspot.com/2006/09/agnotologia-cultura-da-ignorncia.html

Editado pela última vez por Nthor; 25 May 2009, 22:34.

Comentário

De acordo com Schiebinger, “Ignorance is often not merely the absence of knowledge,” “but an outcome of cultural and political struggle.*

* Habitualmente a ignorância não é só a ausência de conhecimentos, mas o resultado de uma luta entre a cultura e a política.

Disclaimer:

O termo "ignorância" não é usado no seu sentido negativo, mas antes, no seu sentido mais favorável, o do inicio da busca pelo conhecimento.

Comentário

Parece ser um tema interessante mas que requer que se dê respostas pensadas, coisa que o meu estado actual não me permite. Mas do que li, sim os Nazis não exterminaram apenas judeus e outras raças consideradas por eles inferiores, tambem se dedicaram e muito às ciências. Se não fosse as pesquisas dos cientistas alemães provavelmente nunca teriamos ido à Lua, alias uma grande maioria dos cientistas Nazis foram depois para os EUA ajudar na "corrida à lua". Quanto a genética também fizeram algumas descobertas, devido aos seus desejos de eugenia, na busca do Homem perfeito. Foram maus e malucos, mas se não fossem eles provavelmente não estariamos onde estamos hoje...E isto é apenas o que eu sei sobre os nazis, provavelmente tiveram muitas mais sucessos cientificos.

Quanto À propaganda da ignorância é o que não falta por aí, seja em Portugal, seja no Mundo em geral...alias com a Internet não sei se não se terá tornado mais fácil difundir a ignorância...

Comentário

Originalmente Colocado por Dannymad Ver Post
                      (...)

Quanto À propaganda da ignorância é o que não falta por aí, seja em Portugal, seja no Mundo em geral...alias com a Internet não sei se não se terá tornado mais fácil difundir a ignorância...
                      Muito mais fácil.

Por isso é importante uma educação exigente, permite as pessoas saberem a diferença e tb combate as situações como as da universidade independente.

Comentário

Agnotologia – Cultura da Ignorância

Presumo que não é difícil de concluir que a ignorância não é, apenas, uma realidade fruto do desconhecimento, mas também é uma “produção cultural”.

Neste último caso, há uma intenção em fomentar e “divulgar” ignorância. Exemplos não faltam, caso da ignorância sobre as complicações do cancro, a não divulgação de achados sejam eles referentes ao controlo ambiental ou a “acontecimentos” políticos. O não desenvolvimento de certas tecnologias por desinteresse ou por implicar consequências de natureza económica de indústrias já estabelecidas a par de limitações da investigação (mesmo respeitando as regras mais exigentes da ética) ou tentativa de desacreditar descobertas científicas são algumas realidades que apontam para a emergência de uma nova disciplina denominada agnotologia.

(...)

Concordo.

Comentário

Um exemplo disto, são as teorias de que a ida à lua é um embuste.

Comentário

Originalmente Colocado por Nthor Ver Post
                            Um exemplo disto, são as teorias de que a ida à lua é um embuste.
                            E que a gripe A é um esquema para as farmaceuticas ganharem €...

Comentário

Citando Sidney Brenner (Nobel da Medicina em 2002) numa conferência que deu em Serralves há uns anos "I am a great believer in the power of ignorance! I think you can always know too much!" Era mais ou menos isto. Contextualizando, o que ele argumentava era que se soubéssemos muito sobre um determinado tema, saberíamos também várias razões para que uma abordagem original a um dado problema não desse resultados, mesmo antes de experimentar. E isso limita a criatividade e o progresso científico.
                              Tem uma certa lógica. O Sidney Brenner deve ser um Agnotólogo confesso .
                              Editado pela última vez por Sweden; 21 July 2009, 13:27.

Comentário

Entrevista a Robert Proctor professor de historia da ciência na Stanford University.

Why Did Western Drs. Promote Tobacco While the Nazis Fought Cancer?

Why Did Western Drs. Promote Tobacco While the Nazis Fought Cancer? | Health & Medicine | DISCOVER Magazine

That's ok.

But i'll promise that it be worth to, and that you will find many similartys with our country and with society in general.

8. Os posts devem ser colocados em Língua Portuguesa. É obrigatória a citação da fonte quando o texto não foi escrito pelo autor do post. Não é permitida escrita “tipo SMS”.

Esperemos para ver se o Sr. Pé Leve que está sempre tão pronto para banir quem critica os comunistas vai aplicar as regras do fórum, ou se pelo contrário as regras não se aplicam ao maninho... Aguardemos para ver a coerência do Sr. Péleve.

Comentário

Originalmente Colocado por bizopt Ver Post
                                  E que a gripe A é um esquema para as farmaceuticas ganharem €...
                                  Mas a gripe A é um esquema para as farmaceuticas ganharem dinheiro.

O que não invalida que esta questão é muito mais complexa do que a forma como tem sido apresentado ao publico.

Mais informação sobre o H1N1 pode ser vista neste tópico.

Comentário

Originalmente Colocado por PedroRodrigues Ver Post
                                    8. Os posts devem ser colocados em Língua Portuguesa. É obrigatória a citação da fonte quando o texto não foi escrito pelo autor do post. Não é permitida escrita “tipo SMS”.

Esperemos para ver se o Sr. Pé Leve que está sempre tão pronto para banir quem critica os comunistas vai aplicar as regras do fórum, ou se pelo contrário as regras não se aplicam ao maninho... Aguardemos para ver a coerência do Sr. Péleve.
                                    O Sr PéLeve vai ser coerente concerteza... para tua infelicidade, permite-me dizer...

Comentário

Originalmente Colocado por Sweden Ver Post
                                      Citando Sidney Brenner (Nobel da Medicina em 2002) numa conferência que deu em Serralves há uns anos "I am a great believer in the power of ignorance! I think you can always know too much!" Era mais ou menos isto. Contextualizando, o que ele argumentava era que se soubéssemos muito sobre um determinado tema, saberíamos também várias razões para que uma abordagem original a um dado problema não desse resultados, mesmo antes de experimentar. E isso limita a criatividade e o progresso científico.
                                      Tem uma certa lógica. O Sidney Brenner deve ser um Agnotólogo confesso .
                                      Interessante esse teu ponto de vista.

Sabendo que cada nova descoberta conduz a novas questões, em todos os ramos da ciência, sabendo das limitações do tempo de vida humana e talvez, das "possíveis" limitações do cerebro humano, para aprender "tudo".

Diria que esse perigo não existe .

Comentário

AD fim dos posts Desktop

Collapse

Ad Fim dos Posts Mobile

Collapse
                                      Working...
                                      X